Almon M. Farnsworth Dies At 70 Following Long Illness; Was Active in Public Affairs
Solemn high requiem mass was celebrated at St. John's Catholic Church Monday at 10 a.m. for Almon M. Farnsworth, 70, civic leader and business man here for many years, who died November 20, 1947, at his home at 65 Second Street after a long period of illness. His family was at his bedside when he passed away quietly.
The Rev. Harold J. Quinn, pastor, was the mass celebrant, the Rev. Edward Kennefic of Pulaski was deacon, and the Rev. Lawrence Bassinet of Florence was sub-deacon. In the sanctuary were two former pastors, the Rev. William Purcell of Johnson City and The Rev. Edward Kissane of Sherburne. Anne Maloney san several vocal solos in addition to those provided by the church organist, Maureen Vrooman.
Prayer services were conducted at the home at 9:30 a.m. Monday, and the previous evening members of the Rosary and Holy Name societies and friends gathered to recite the rosary.
Burial was in the family plot in Forest Park Cemetery, Camden. Business places were closed during the funeral rites. Active bearers were Stedman D. Tuthill, Francis Conant, Jack Bryant, Edmund T. Maloney, Thomas J. Williams and Charles H. Harden. Honorary bearers were E.S. Mabie, Harry A. Harden, James G. Dorrance, Burritt D. Tuthill, T. Clinton Phelps and Benjamin H. Stone. Arrangements were handled by B.A. Sanborn & Son. The number of floral tributes included remembrances from religions, fraternal and business organizations as well as from friends, neighbors and relatives.
Mr. Farnsworth was born in Williamstown July 16, 1877, a son of the late Theron A. and Fontella Sophia Healy Farnsworth. In 1885 the family moved to Camden and he attended the Union School here. While still an undergraduate he established a job printing business in the family barn, and was so successful that he soon moved his shop into the Barnes Block on Main Street, where the telephone office is now located.
Mr. Farnsworth was among the pioneers in the church envelope printing industry in this country. In 1910 he built a factory building at 17 Main Street and transferred his rapidly expanding business activities to that location.
In 1939 he took into partnership two of his sons, Almon G. and T. Albert, organizing under the firm name of A.M. Farnsworth & Sons. Several years ago, when his health began to fail, Mr. Farnsworth retired from active participation in the establishment.
His marriage to Florence Genevieve Low, daughter of the late Dr. Jesse B. and M. Augusta Barrow Low, took place here Oct. 18, 1900. He is survived by this widow and three sons, Almon G. and T. Albert of this village, and George L. of Port Washington, L.I.; eight grandchildren, and a sister, Mrs. George B. Smith of Schenectdady.
Throughout his lifetime Mr. Farnsworth was active in civic and community affairs. He served on the Village Board and with the Camden Fire Department, of which he was a retired member. For many years he was a directory of the First National Bank and Trust Company of Camden. In 1921 he was elected to the Board of Education of Camden Union Free School, District No. 1, and in 1828 became president, in which capacity he served until his retirement from public life in 1940. It was during his term of office that the present high school section of the building was erected. He devoted much time and thought to school affairs, and was an active member of the New York State School Boards Association.
In 1925 he purchased the large residence of the late John C. Davies on Union Street, where he resided with his family until the property was sold a year ago to Dr. Edward O'Hara. Shortly after acquiring the Davies property Mr. Farnsworth donated a large portion of the land to the community as an athletic field known as Davies Field, and was largely responsible for the success of a campaign for funds to develop this into a community recreation center.
Mr. Farnsworth was a communicant of St. John's Church and a member of the Holy Name and Rosary societies. The Citizens' Club and the Exchange Club, composed of business men, which existed here some years ago, were among his interests.
For many years Mr. Farnsworth was a member of Philanthropic Lodge, F. & A. M., of which he was a past master.
Attending the services were people from Syracuse, Port Washington, L.I., Schenectady and towns surrounding Camden, as well as the large number of local friends, relatives and associates. Miss Eleanor Daley, a close family friend, came by train from Florida for the rites.
REPRINTED from the "Camden Advance-Journal", Camden, NY, Wednesday, November 26, 1947.
A.M. Farnsworth, Civic Leader, Dies at 70
CAMDEN - Almon M. Farnsworth, 70, well known resident of this village died last night at his home, 65 Second St.
He was born in Williamstown on July 16, 1877, the son of Theron and Fontella Sophie Healy Farnsworth. On Oct. 18, 1900 he married Miss Florence Genevieve Low, daughter of the late Dr. Jesse B. and M. Augusta Barrow Low, who survives him.
He moved with his family to Camden in 1885, and as a youth attended Camden Union School. While still in school Mr. Farnsworth established a job printing business in the family barn and when this enterprise proved successful, moved his business into the Barnes block on Main St.
Mr. Farnsworth was a pioneer in this country in the church envelope printing industry. In 1910 he built a printing plant at 17 Main St. and moved his business there. He conducted the business until failing health forced his retirement several years ago.
In 1939 he took two sons, Almon G. Farnsworth and T. Albert Farnsworth into the firm which changed it's name to A.M. Farnsworth & Sons.
He was known as an active participant in civic and community affairs, serving on numerous committees. Mr. Farnswroth was a member fo the Village Board, the Camden Fire Department, and was a director of the First National Bank and Trust Co., Camden.
He was elected a member of the Board of Education of the Camden Union Free School, District 1, in 1921, and in 1928 he was named president, serving in this position until 1940.
While he was president of the Board of Education the present high school building was erected. [Currently serves as the Middle School building] He was an active member of the New York State School Boards Association.
In 1925, Mr. Farnsworth purchased the residence and property of the late Hon. John C. Davies on Union St., and donated a large portion of the property to the community. This land, now known as Davies Field, serves as the high school's athletic field. He was well known for his efforts in developing the town's recreational center. Mr. Farnsworth and his family lived in their home on Union St. until last year.
He was a communicant of St. John's Church and was a member of the Holy Name Society and the Altar Society.
Besides his wife he is survived by three sons, Almon and Albert, Camden, and George L. Farnsworth, Port Washington, L.I.; a sister, Mrs. George B. Smith Schenectady; and eight grandchildren.
Prayer services will be conducted at his late home at 9:30 a.m. Monday, and at 10 a.m. high requiem mass will be celebrated in St. John's Church. Interment will be made in St. John's Cemetery, Camden.
REPRINTED from the "Daily Sentinel", Rome, NY.
To E-mail the author:
Copyright © 1999 WJ2O Software